Code of Excellence
The Code of Excellence is a program designed to bring out the best in our electrical construction members and demonstrate to our customers that IBEW members:
- Exercise safe and productive work practices
- Perform the highest quality and quantity of work
- Utilize their skills and abilities to the maximum
The Code of Excellence training is to convey a strong message that IBEW construction members will:
- Arrive to work on time, ready and willing to work.
- Follow appropriate employer and customer work rules.
- Promote an alcohol and drug-free workplace.
- Work in a safe and healthy manner.
- Give 8 hours work for 8 hours pay and ensure supervision has been notified when we need to leave the jobsite.
- Respect management directives that are safe, reasonable, and legitimate.
- Respect the customer’s rights and property.
- Respect the rights of our coworkers.
- Utilize the skills and abilities we have learned to gain a competitive advantage.
- Take care of the employer’s tools and equipment as if they were our own.
- Refuse to condone any act of property destruction, including graffiti.
- Start work on time, work until the appropriate quitting time, and limit break periods to the time allowed.
- Use the proper tool for the job while maintaining personal responsibility for our tools.
- Only sell merchandise or collect funds as authorized by the Business Manager of the Local Union.
- Perform personal business, including cell phone use, during authorized break periods only.
- Never participate in job slowdowns, disruptions, or activities designed to extend the job or create overtime.
- Always strive to conduct ourselves in a way that promotes a positive image of the IBEW.
As with Stewards, IBEW members employed in management/supervision must have knowledge of the Code of Excellence program principles, its relationship to IBEW organizing and overall membership responsibilities to the Brotherhood. Yet, more importantly, members in these roles need to know how effectively managing their jobs will be a corresponding obligation to the Code of Excellence program. IBEW rank and file members honoring the Code of Excellence program will rightfully have similar expectations of Brothers and Sisters in management/ supervision, with these being in the areas of:
- Management responsibilities to the collective bargaining agreement.
- Total acceptance of supervisory positions and related responsibilities.
- Communication and cooperation with the job Steward.
- Employee encouragement but, if necessary, fair and consistent discipline.
- Job safety, health and sanitation needs or requirements.
- Ample job layout/directions to minimize downtime and maximize employee productivity.
- Availability and timely delivery of necessary materials.
- Proper number and type of tools and equipment to ensure job progress.
- Maintenance and upkeep of tools and equipment.
- Storage and protection of employer and employee tools and equipment.
- Employ an adequate number of employees to perform efficiently or, conversely, limit the number of employees to the work at hand